Monday, January 12, 2015

Current events I

Why women are paying $1,300 more a year than men on the same exact products?

I found this pretty interesting article about women paying more than men on the same products. The products that the article talks about are mainly drugstore stuff like deodorants, razors and so on. It may be the smallest things, but this is also a way of discrimination against women. I personally do not understand why would people do this, even with necessary wheat like this. According to the president of the Female Engineered Marketing, Emily Spensieri, it predominately boils down to marketers knowing they can get away with it. She told for the interviews basically that they know women will pay more just to get it. Also women will always pay to get those necessarities, since they take care of themselves more properly I could say.Most of the women probably do not even realize that they get discriminated everyday over very small issues. I know I always get mad about how much money I spend on the beauty products, but I never knew that it was such a difference between these prices and I am actually pretty surprised. Do I think it is not fair? Yes, I do. I can get over the fact that I use my money to buy make-up and all things related to it, which may not be the most important thing in the world, but the fact that the same brand deodorant for women is more than $1 expensive than men’s is just bizzare. This article was released about two months ago, but I guess it is still a current problem, and it will be a problem for a long amount of time, until a bigger media does not bring it up as an important issue. It is for sure way, women are being discriminated, but it is not that main issue. It is just one of the additional and invisible issue.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/20/pink-tax_n_6193952.html?utm_hp_ref=womens-rights

    ReplyDelete